Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Hats for Bobby-Honoring an American Soldier

There is a lovely lady I know named Betty. I've known her for years and even adopted her as my grandma (since I don't have any). Betty has three children-two daughters and a son. On May 25, her son, Bobby, shipped out for 400 days of deployment overseas. They originally thought it was only 365 when he shipped out, but then they found out otherwise. Betty said she is working on an afghan for him everyday that she's gone to pass the time (only one afghan, not 400, please don't get confused). So I decided I would do something similiar to support this woman I love so much. For every week that he's gone, I'm crocheting a hat. I did the math and that makes 57 hats. I'm not keeping that many (I don't even know how I'm going to get yarn for that many!) and will probably donate some to The James 2 Project and probably make some and give them to my baby sisters (my mom loves putting hats on them). But either way it turns out, I'm going to try my best to support my "grandma" and her son.

Week 1
"Woods, Elle" Hat

I had recently watched "Legally Blonde" and found that I loved a purple crochet hat that she wore in several scenes. So I looked up a crochet pattern on line, and, sure enough, there was a pattern for (link included in title). Due to the fact that I have a rather large head, I had to alter the pattern slightly to make it fit my head.

Week 2
"Renaissance Rose Cap" (Designed by Melissa Mall)

I've always loved the medival/renaissance period (not the part about the beautiful ladies in their elegant gowns, at least not until later in life; as a child I was always interested in the swashbuckling knights and their adventures) so this one was an instant hit with me and most of my sisters. It's fairly easy to make (unfortunately I don't have the link) and looks great when it's done.

Week 3
"Victorian Pinkie"

Now, this one obviously isn't pink. The yarn was actually leftovers from a hat that I made for a friend for Christmas one year. This one is a little more difficult to master and has vague directions but there are three or four different ways to wear it. And, Bobby is now through 24 days!

2 comments:

  1. that is so cool, if I buy the yarn, I would love a hat made by you..green is my favorite color. what type of yarn should I buy? Paula Smenkowski

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to! Any type of yarn, really, just as long as its about 6 oz. Worsted weight is usually the best to go with since it's the most commonly used. Just let me what type of hat and we'll go for it!

    ReplyDelete